Friday, November 19, 2010

The Day of the Third (cont.)

My dad’s surgery was supposed to be about 4 to 6 hours long, but in reality it was close to 8 hours long, those were the longest eight hours of my life. It was horrible! The nurse that came in to tell else that my dad was out of surgery also told us that Dr. Miller, my dad’s surgeon, would be out shortly to speak to us.
                After the nurse left the room we sat in that awkward waiting room for what seemed like forever, but it was actually only about twenty minutes. That was the shortest wait we had had all day, but it seemed like the longest wait. Dr. Miller finally came into the waiting room and asked us to follow him into this tiny room that contained only a couch and table with a box of Kleenexes on it. He stood in front of us and informed us that they were not able to get the entire tumor but they were able to get most of the tumor, and that the reason the surgery had taken so much longer than anticipated was that the tumor was actually larger than they had previously thought and went down into his brain had breached my dad’s brain’s blood barrier. This all sounded pretty scary, but at the time I had no idea what it all meant, but I was too nervous and scared to ask the doctor so after he left the room I began to ask my mom all the questions I had, but she at this point she began to cry, so I could tell it wasn’t good news we had gotten and by the time my mom started crying, my sister had already left the room. My mom and I aren’t exactly close, I’ll always go to my dad or sister for anything, before I go to my mom, she tends to blow things out of proportion and I very negative, so I really needed my sister, but I couldn’t find her. She was really close to my dad as am I but she was taking the news we had just received a little bit harder than I was. I didn’t fully understand what was going on and my aunt Lori and I were having a really tough time comforting my mom. My aunt was also having a tough time with the news we received because even though she hadn’t been real close to my dad in recent years she could still remember how nice he was to her when my dad and mom were dating. He would invite my aunt to movies with them and she could still remember seeing “Jaws” with them almost thirty years earlier.
                We were all affected by the news about my dad’s surgery, but we were still happy about them getting most of the tumor, I think looking back we couldn’t have gotten worse news, but at the same time I do not think we could have gotten better news about how the surgery went.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment